Brigantia Learning Trust is leading on the delivery of the National Professional Qualification for Middle Leadership (NPQML), a DfE accredited course in conjunction with the Schools, Students and Teachers network (SSAT).
Who is the NPQML for?
Those who are, or are aspiring to become, a middle leader with responsibility for leading a team e.g. a key stage leader, a curriculum area leader, a pastoral services leader, a subject leader, a special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO), or a head of department. This includes those who are, or are aspiring to be, a middle leader with cross-school responsibilities e.g. a Specialist Leader of Education (SLE).
What is involved in the NPQML?
- 12 course modules – 24 hours
- Self-study intersessional tasks – 12 hours
- Assigned in-school coaching – 6 hours
- Online engagement with peers and through the Knowledge Hub platform – 12 hours
- Real-world workplace learning and improvement project culminating in a 4,500 word assessment task – 150 hours
- Completed over 18 months
- Online engagement with peers and access to SSAT resources through Discourse
The curriculum framework is built around six content areas and seven leadership behaviours, all of which are common to each level of NPQ, enabling leaders to develop the depth and breadth of knowledge and experience progressively through the levels.
- Performance is assessed against the metrics set out in the DfE’s NPQ Quality Framework.
- National Professional Qualification (NPQ) Content and Assessment Framework
Our commitment to you
- We will provide a suitable venue for all module training
- We will carry out a competency and behaviour audit for each participant
- We will ensure that the face-to-face training of the 12 two-hour course modules using the module content provided by the SSAT is delivered consistently
- We will ensure all NPQML content areas are delivered and assessment criteria are met
- We will ensure all materials are contextualised and personalised where possible for participants from all education providers
- We will monitor the quality of coaching provided to participants
Your commitment to us
- You will provide an in-school coach
- You will ensure that participants complete the course
- If participants do not complete the course, this will incur a charge of £900+VAT
- You will enable participants to attend all module content delivery sessions